#98 Blueberry Cobbler

5:11 AM

My heart is singing songs right now, because I am pretty sure tonight and the next two nights there are NO plans on the table for my evenings, which means our house can actually be cleaned and I can have a few minutes to myself each night!

Stephen came home with two candles in hand for me. He knows the state of the house, the smell of the house, has been bugging the mess out of me. So very sweetly, he went and bought me some sweet smelling candles to mask the smell--which today actually was much better from having cleaned the carpets with some deodorizer yesterday. This man is so thoughtful where it counts.

So tonight I made dinner, and realized we have our blueberries from this past Saturday and Stephen had requested cobbler. Since you can't have blueberry cobbler without ice cream, Stephen ran to Aldi's and picked up a few items including some good ole vanilla ice cream.

Pre ice cream

So many berries!
It turned out pretty well, but I think for this size pan I really needed a bit more cobbler bits--is that what you call that? Well, a little less blueberry and maybe a bit more breading. But still delicious.

Cooking, especially cooking with food I've gotten from the local market or picked myself, it gives me this longing for my childhood I never thought I'd care for. Where I'd be at Mamma June's (my babysitters/second mamma) and we'd be snapping peas on the couch in the den. Or at my Grandma Jone's house, cutting up fresh garden grown tomatoes, adding a dash of salt and pepper. Or at my mom's house, watching them shuck corn to put away for the year. 

There's this thing where when you're a kid, eating in was not nearly as cool as going out to eat. Well now all we ever do is eat out it seems. So these moments where we never have to leave the house (except for our Aldi's run) but can just enjoy the literal fruits of our labor, it's really enjoyable. You feel accomplished, and somehow that food just tastes like 10x better because of it. 

We watched Zootopia for the first time, thanks to Amber loaning us a copy. It was super cute.

Finished my night by reading more of my book, which like all books I'm finally starting to get wrapped up into their world. It takes time for me to get sucked in to a book, and for the first few chapters I literally could put it down and never pick it up again, and I'd be just fine not knowing how these characters turn out. But once I get past this certain point, if I don't know what happens next, it may just kill me. 

And since reading is not really my thing, I think I've realized I need to read for 2 weeks, and be off of reading for 2 weeks. Keep the cycle going from there. It's like my mind needs a break from one world to the next. I will say though, I think my love for reading is growing--only 27 years late.

You Might Also Like

0 comments