#246 Millennials

7:30 PM

This one is a long one, so I'm going to preface it with a good thing of the day...

Judy our website person at work, complimented me profusely today on the work I did with our Camp La Vida website. She set up a structure for me, and I developed content and design to the website. So now we're looking at completing the SC WMU and Janie Chapman website soon, and her and Laurie's confidence in me gives me the confidence I need. Laurie even said she didn't realize what an asset they were hiring when the asked me on, but the talents and abilities I've been able to pour into our organization has been greatly beneficial. Wow. On days where I wonder why I'm still there, that keeps me going a bit longer.



Stephen's mom, Jan, shared a really interesting article today on the Millennial generation and the church. I think there is this initial reaction to something like this article, that points out the flaws and shortcomings churches have as a whole towards the Millennial generation, that makes a church want to get up in arms and be defensive to such claims.

So take a deep breath. One more.

Even as a Millennial myself (which I didn't think I was but according to Wikipedia I was wrong), I'm one of the few that have stuck it out in my church, so there's a bit of pride and offense in discrediting the work of the church I've devoted so much of my life to. Doesn't help I work for a religious organization either, one that works to help support these churches that are doing such a horrendous job apparently at reaching Millennials. But the truth is, I know it is true.

See I've been living this disconnect between the church and Millennials for quite a few years now. In fact we're one of the few college and career groups in the greater Lexington area that is actually successful and growing. We've seen the huge need there is for a community and place to actually fit in within a church setting. We also get the inside view to the struggles we still face even as a successful college and career group, and the push-back we get from the church. Something I've tried to deny for a long time exists, but I think Steve has seen all along.

In fact he's been our advocate for this demographic. I cannot express how blessed we are to have a man of God, who serves as faithfully as he has for so many years, not only invest in us, but rally and fight for us to be recognized as a worthwhile generation. He's seen the things in us we didn't know were there. He's poked and prodded us into becoming leaders, when we still thought we were kids. He's challenged us to think outside of ourselves, and look for ways to reach beyond our four walls.

While the church tells us we've yet to contribute anything of value, Steve reminded us we had. He fought for us to have the respect we'd earned, and I can say now more than ever our church has begun to see us an asset. If it were not for Steve's discipleship and leadership, I'm not sure we'd be here though.

Because while now we can almost function without his guidance (signs of a true disciple maker, am I right?), when we left our youth groups that was not the case. In fact, as youth we're catered to, invested in, served, and treated as children. Then, BAM, you're an adult now. You're expected to invest in others, serve others, and be leaders. Things you've never really been taught, just things you've watched others do for you. And while somewhere in me it seems then that should have been our training, it wasn't. We watched, but were never taught.

So to me there has been a failure in discipleship in the church. It's created a culture where there is a lack of respect between the church and Millennials. So in that I think the article I shared in the beginning makes some valid points.

One, the world is not really going to change unless you choose to do something about it. Yes things may be worse than they once were, but adapt and try to change the culture instead of blaming it. Adapting means you actually have to listen to what the current generation needs and wants. Two, you actually have to live what you preach. It means you can't keep revamping a mission statement to redirect your attention to. It means you actually have to help the poor as we have been commanded. It means you actually have to be transparent with people and accepting of who they currently are. Three, live out one of the commands you have been given as a disciple of Christ and make other disciples. Live life with people, transparently and openly, and guide others into a life that resembles and reflects Christ. It means you actually have to be willing to be a servant, give up your seat, and not be exclusive but be inclusive. Show others the value they have in Christ.

Maybe a few points they made have a few flaws, but overall pretty on point.

You Might Also Like

0 comments