#81 Make Up Fathers Day

7:06 AM

Today I spent a lot of my day back and forth between home and getting groceries. I gathered all the ingredients for the perfect bowl of shrimp and grits--my speciality. Side note: Super weird to think I already have a speciality. Especially when I've practically stolen the recipe. Only extra thing you need is some grilled or sauteed tomatoes to go in it. Also you can add a little sauteed spinach as well--but my dad hates spinach and this was his make up Father's Day, so I had to cater to him. No being sneaky and putting extra veggies in his dish. And then to top it off, add 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, instead of just the one. Trust me.

I've semi strayed from the recipe lately, so this time I followed it pretty exactly, minus my edits I make. We had stone ground grits that were cooked for 8 hours in the slow cooker, as well as apple wood smoked bacon from our local Four Oaks Farm. It was spot on.

As it stands now.
Shopping at local owned places like this, getting food from places right next door, it kind of puts this old world flare in my life that I love. These places I've grown up with... helping mom and dad pick out flowers in the green house they had next door, getting to see my childhood best friend working there behind the butcher counter for a few years, and now seeing neighborhood and church friends shopping shoulder to shoulder--it leaves a feeling of nostalgia.

I always feel slightly nervous serving dishes; they may hate it, they may think it's weird, I may have put the wrong ingredient in, I may have accidently poisoned them. You just never know! But tonight the dish was a hit. Huge hit. I had no idea my dad didn't actually like shrimp and grits, but he has now said this is the best he's ever had, and my mom and Stephen both claimed mine was much better than Midlands which is now award-winning. So my ego is boosted, but I'm not sure I'm convinced. They do love me after all--I bet that effects the taste.

We had a good time catching up and playing decorator with my mom's guest room. Love these moments.

You Might Also Like

0 comments