#40 Skip Trip, pt 2

11:30 PM

This morning started off super early, grabbing last minute snacks on our way out the door for a day of slopes and tubing. Stephen and I decided we'd try snowboarding again this year, but Stephen was super stoked he could try goofy style, which he seemed to do much better on at the end of our run last year.

Unfortunately, corralling 22 people together to do the same thing is difficult, especially if there are language barriers. We finally arrived at Winterplace, but a lack of staff communication and knowledge led to about an hour of confusion and getting our equipment. But once we had our stuff, we hit those slopes and quick! I made it down the mountain with Stephen and Noah once. Headed up another time to have Stephen pass me again going down the mountain. Finally after fighting really hard to just even stand up and get going, I told myself I'd take a break. About 40 minutes later after hanging out with Noah and Cayman for a few minutes, I decided to try going up about halfway and coming down the slope again--did pretty well that time. Although I was super worn out. I realized it was about 30 minutes before we had to meet for lunch and devotion near the snow tubes.

Stephen down. Stephen down.

This is where asking for directions would have been super smart. I glanced at a map, and realized there was no quick way to get to the tubing lanes without walking a while in the parking lot, or trying to go down the mountain. I attempted the parking lot route, with no luck. So finally I swallowed, and decided that ski lift 2 was the only way I was going to make it where I needed to go. I snowboarded down a hill to the ski lift, no problems there. Climbed on the ski lift with a couple from Charleston. Slammed myself into the snow trying to get off the ski lift. Finally deciding that since I was alone, tired, and agitated at snowboarding, I would just walk down the mountain instead of snowboarding. It was long. Very. Long.


See map above. In yellow. I was emotionally spent once I got down to the bottom.

I walked in, just asking, just daring anyone to ask me how my day was going. I was ticked. I'd been alone, hot, walked forever, my butt hurt, my hands hurt, my legs hurt, and I was hungry.

Thankfully talking with Emily and hearing how she'd persevered through a difficult day of tubing, and still was laughing at the end of it all--well God knew we needed to sit together--because I came out feeling much better. But I still wanted to go back to the lodge for a while.

After much discussion, we finally decided there was no way we'd be able to do devotion in the Mountain Lodge restaurant, as it was SUPER crowded. A few words were exchanged between some of the girls, that was overheard by Anna. She's a tough cookie, and can take a lot, but people saying things that are uncalled for without offering any suggestion on how Anna could change things, had let her reach the end of her emotional limits too. I just wish we could be kind to each other. I know sometimes I say things or think things that are unkind, but I hope I have learned to watch what I say not just around those that I'm irritated with, but also those that are impressionable.

It was just that kind of day. Lots of emotions.

Seven of us piled up in a 5 person sedan, and drove back to the lodge. We slept. We bathed. We ate. We rested. Finally a small group of us headed out again for a night of tubing. Which was really fun, minus my shoes were horrible, and I could barely stand. But man flying down that mountain, much less terrifying than snowboarding! And much more fun!

After a couple hours of tubing, a group of us headed out to Chick-fil-a. We got news that Columbiana mall had a shooter on site, and we all began calling family members making sure no one was out at the mall. Everyone was safe, and no one got hurt. Although, once we finally arrived at Chick-fil-a, Noah called us to tell us he'd hit his head pretty hard and needed to be picked up. After being checked out by Anna and Sarah, he seemed to have no concussion--thank goodness!

We ended our night with devotions, as I sprawled out on the floor to alleviate some of my pain from a day of squats.

You Might Also Like

0 comments