#59 Edisto Beach

5:22 AM

We slept in this morning, and then decided we go explore Edisto Island for a bit. This is "my beach" in my mind. My parents and I spent countless summers here renting out a small beach home, where I always got to sleep in the water bed. We always came to this place, and in the mind of a child it's not a rental home it's YOUR home. So this place was. After driving around for a bit, my memory served me well and we found my home...

Countless summers on that porch, now for sale!
This island though is as non-touristy as it gets. You come here for just the beach, that's it. The gas station that is on the island closest to the beach, is the only one on the main island. It was closed every other year because it just didn't get enough business. There used to be a Piggly Wiggly, so small you had to suck in to move up and down the aisles, but now is a Bi-Lo. A few small businesses have made their way on the island over time and seem to be doing well.

We drove to the very tip to a restaurant that's been there supposedly for 45 years, which somehow we never ate at before now--I think it was that healthy diet of fresh shrimp from the bay all those years that kept us away.

So we ate at Whaley's, which I have to say had some of the best tasting fried seafood I've ever had.
Whaley's, an old converted convenient store.
We walked along the beach, until mother nature made me cranky.
These rock dividers paced out every few 100 feet.
So Stephen found the closest coffee shop, and well it didn't disappoint. Just what I needed.

We had hoped to see the Serpentarium, which is something I've never visited before even though we've passed it countless times. It was closed that day, but open the next, so we are tossing around the idea of going back tomorrow.

We ventured for a few minutes back to Angel Oak tree. Enough time to capture this amazing shot.

A photo posted by Brittany Prahl (@diednsaved) on


We decided the day was not done, so we headed another 20 minutes in the opposite direction from our bus to Charleston.
Finally saw Rainbow Row.


Between the Battery & Waterfront Park.
So glad I didn't lie to Stephen when I said I always see dolphins down at Waterfront Park. Sure enough we saw quite a few, even one that leaped out of the water! Stephen's first time seeing dolphins in the wild.

After a long walk around Charleston, we headed out to a really cool theater to go see The Jungle Book.

Board games, gourmet food, and all
A satisfying watch for sure! Headed back to Johns Island, but not before completely engorging ourselves on the Tattooed Moose's food.

Duck Sandwich, blue cheese & garlic fries, and a cuban
Ending the night with another movie that I fell asleep in. Come on Bond, you aren't supposed to disappoint me like that.


You Might Also Like

0 comments